The Housing Authority of the City of Albany was established in 1940 as a quasi governmental agency with the purpose of developing and managing assisted housing programs. It was authorized by a resolution of the City of Albany, Georgia declaring the need for a housing authority.
The oldest complex, William Binns Homes, built in 1941, consists of 100 units, and was constructed by the Department of Defense to serve as war housing. These apartments were later deeded to the Albany Housing Authority in 1951. The cost of construction was approximately $3000 per apartment.
The first public housing units were built in 1942 and consist of 40 units known as Thronateeska Homes. The name chosen is the Native American name for the Flint River, which runs through Albany. The second complex, also built in 1942 consists of 56 units, and was named O.B. Hines Homes in honor O.B. Hines. These two apartment complexes served as both low-income housing and war housing during the early 1940’s. In 1946, the housing was dedicated solely for low-income housing, although veterans received a preference.
In 1951 Holley Homes, named in honor of Dr. Joseph W. Holley, the founder and first president of Albany State University, was completed with 125 apartments for families. One year later, McIntosh Homes, consisting of 125 apartments for families, was completed and named in honor of H.L. McIntosh, Editor of the Albany Herald. Washington Homes was added in 1954, consisting of 140 apartment units for families.
As the need grew for elderly housing, the Golden Age Apartments were constructed in 1964, with 70 apartment units. In the same year, Dennis Homes, consisting of 80 units, was built and named in honor of Dr. William H. Dennis, Jr., third president of Albany State University.
In 1981, construction began on the W.C. Holman Homes, named in honor of one the Albany Housing Authority’s first Commissioners. This was the first new construction since 1964. Construction was completed in 1982. The next year, the Hudson Malone Towers, a 95 unit mid-rise facility for the elderly and handicapped was completed. This facility was named in honor of Hudson Malone, Jr., the first Executive Director of the Albany Housing Authority. In 1984, construction began on the Paul D. Lipsey, Sr. Homes, named in honor of the former AHA Commissioner. This complex was the first to be constructed in East Albany, and consists of 75 apartment units for families, including 4 handicapped accessible units. Construction was completed in 1985. Adjacent to this property, construction began in 1986 on the Harvey J. Pate Sr. Homes named in honor of the former AHA Executive Director. This complex consists of 50 units, two of which are 3-bedroom units designed for handicapped families.
In 1988, the Grover Cross Homes were completed. These units consist of 16 townhouses on two separate sites, and were named in honor of Grover C. Cross, who is responsible for starting the Neighborhood Watch Program in the Albany Housing Authority.
The groundbreaking ceremony for Wetherbee Homes was held in 1994, a 30-unit complex consisting of all 3-bedroom units named in honor of Ernest “Bud” Wetherbee, also one of the Housing Authority’s first Commissioners.
On July 7, 1994, due to torrential rainfall from Tropical Storm Alberto, the Flint River overflowed its banks and flooded a large portion of Albany, Georgia. As a result, the Albany Housing Authority lost an entire neighborhood, Washington Homes, due to the floodwaters rising to the rooftops of the buildings in this complex. Because of the severe damage, Washington Homes could not be repaired nor could it be rebuilt on the same location due to its close proximity to the Flint River. All buildings had to be demolished, and all 140 units were lost.
In 1995, HUD approved the construction of 99 new units on three different sites. The first of these new developments, Brierwood Court, was completed in 1998, consisting of 23 single-family homes. The second was Sherman Oaks, completed in 1998.
It consists of 13 duplex buildings and one triplex building named in honor of Mercer Sherman, a former AHA Commissioner. The third was the Kingsbury Subdivision, completed in 2000. These 47 units consist of duplex buildings and single family homes.
In 2001, Seay Village, a 22 unit development named in honor of Howard Seay, a former AHA Commissioner, was constructed. This was to be the first of four developments to replace the 140 units of Washington Homes that were destroyed in the flood of July 1994. In 2004, Lane Landings, a 48 unit development named in honor of Roy Lane, a former AHA Executive Director, was constructed. This was the second of the 140 replacement units. In the same year, Seay Village North was completed, a 30 unit development across from Seay Village, and also named in honor of Howard Seay. This was the third of the replacement developments.
In 2005, after a joint venture between the Albany Housing Authority, Albany Tomorrow, and Integral Properties, LLC., Ashley Riverside was completed. This development is the first of its kind in Albany. This 132 unit development is a mixed income/finance development. Of the 132 apartments, 40 are reserved for families who meet public housing income eligibility guidelines, 25 are rented at the market rate, and 67 are affordable units under the Low-income Tax Housing Credit Program. The 40 units in this development are the last of the 140 units to replace Washington Homes. This development has an onsite office and is managed by IMS Management Services, LLC., which is a subsidiary of Integral Properties, LLC.